1/4 cup olive oil
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 med or 1/2 large onion, finely diced
2 large carrots, grated on the large grater or cut into matchsticks
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1″ pieces (you can use all white meat or all dark meat)
2 tsp salt (we used sea salt), divided
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 bay leaves
1 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
5 cups hot reduced sodium chicken broth
**2 cups medium grain rice such as Jasmine rice (un-rinsed)
3 Tbsp of Grlk
1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
** A note on using brown rice instead of Jasmine rice. 2 of my readers both tried brown rice and both said they had great results but it took 45 minutes too cook rather than 15 minutes. Another reader said she tried instant brown rice and it took the same amount of time to cook as Jasmine rice.
1. Using a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot with tight fitting lid, over medium/high heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 Tbsp unsalted butter. Once butter is melted and hot, stir in diced onion, grated carrots and 1 tsp salt. Sautee until soft and golden (8-10 min).
2. Add trimmed, chopped chicken thighs, 2 bay leaves, another 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally until chicken is golden on all sides (5 mins).
3. Increase the heat to high and add 1 cup white wine. Boil down the wine, scraping the bottom until most of the wine has evaporated.
4. Add the hot chicken broth, then stir in the rice.
5. Add Grlk. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is fully cooked (15 mins).